The Health Officers Association of California (HOAC) is a membership organization representing the physician health officers in California’s city and county jurisdictions. We provide public health-focused Continuing Medical Education for physicians, provide technical expertise to the state legislature on matters related to public health, engage in advocacy, and conduct other special projects to advance public health.
Optimize the impact of health officers to improve health and well-being for all.
THE MEMBERSHIP OF HOAC CONSISTS OF THE STANDING AND RETIRED HEALTH OFFICERS OF COUNTIES AND CITIES IN GOOD STANDING WITH RESPECT TO HOAC DUES.
Services Provided for Membership Dues
HOAC is a membership organization funded by city and county members. Services provided to members include
- Reduced rate for our twice yearly sessions to provide public health-related Continuing Medical Education
- Tracking of all legislation, and weekly legislative reports on bills pertinent to public health
- Updates on the status of the state budget
- Special reports on regulatory issues and court decisions impacting the practice of public health at the local level
- Provision of technical information to the legislature on the practice of public health at the local level
- Sponsorship of legislation on key disease prevention issues related to the public’s health
- HOAC provides a voice for California’s physician health officers on important issues, whether we are participating in a Cal EPA hearing on cap and trade agreements or visiting Congressional offices to ask for the inclusion of public health language in national health care reform legislation
HOAC Board of Directors
Directors at Large
Nancy Williams, MD, MPH President
El Dorado County
Gail Newel, MD, MPH President-Elect
Santa Cruz County
Karen Relucio, MD
Napa County (retired)
Claudia Jonah, MD
Kern Country (retired)
Julie Vaishampayan MD, MPH
Stanislaus County (retired)
Joseph P. Iser, MD, DrPH, MSc
Yolo County (retired)
Cameron Kaiser, MD, MPH
Riverside County (retired)
Robert Benjamin, MD, MPH
City of Berkeley (retired)
Dave Canton, DO, MPH, JD
Robert J. Oldham, MD, MSHA
Karen Ramstrom, DO, MSPH
Shasta County (retired)
Anissa Davis, MD, MPH
City of Long Beach
Aimee Sisson, MD, MPH
Eric Sergienko, MD, MPH Mariposa County
Ms. DeBurgh has been working with HOAC since 2005. She earned her undergraduate degree in politics from U.C. Santa Cruz in 2000. With assistance from the HOAC Board of Directors, in 2011, she earned her Master’s in Public Health from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and was inducted into the Delta Omega Honors Society for Public Health.
Ms. DeBurgh was trained by former executive director Bruce Pomer over a three year transition period. She was appointed executive director of HOAC on October 1, 2014.
Ms. Navarro has been working with HOAC since 2012 after 4 years with Center for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Technology, and 10 years with the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op. These past positions contributed to her extensive background in customer relations and bookkeeping. She has a Associates Degree in Graphic Communications and is hoping to begin the bachelors in design program at Sacramento State University. Outside of this, she is also studying Urban Permaculture Design and Regenerative Agriculture.
Ms. Navarro lives in Sacramento with her son and spends her free time maintaining an organic garden, practicing yoga, crafting, reading, hiking and dancing.
If the information you are looking for is not on our website, call our office between
9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday